This story includes a "snapshot" conversation pieced together from different different conversations.
The English Major
One of my high school friends went to NJIT and majored in Electrical Engineering and for the past five years it's been sort of a joke that I chose an "impractical" major (AKA a useless major) according to him.
"So you're going to be an English teacher?"
Apparently that is the only possible option for people who major in English. Whenever I tell someone what my undergrad degree is in they either assume that I will be a school teacher or that I have no career plan.
"So what are you going to do?"
"I want to be a professor"
"Doesn't that mean you have to go to grad school?"
"Yeah I'm in my first semester right now."
"Oh."
I don't know if some people assume it takes some sort of higher power to make someone a professor or they think professors just sprout from trees ready to fill young minds with knowledge while they drink their coffee and read Hemingway.
No comments:
Post a Comment